The Kemmerer High School girls’ swimming and diving team traveled to Laramie over the weekend for the largest invitational of the season, placing 11th at the Laramie Invitational.
"Things went really well for the girls this weekend," said KHS head coach Amanda Aimone. "The meet in Laramie was the biggest I have ever seen for a high school meet. Twenty-two teams were there excluding Cody, Powell, and Buffalo."
Cheyenne Central took the top spot in the 17-team field with 223 points, followed by Jackson with 166 and Campbell County with 152.5. The Lady Rangers finished with 37.5 points.
Kemmerer’s Kylie Price had a solid meet, placing sixth in the 100 freestyle (58.53) and ninth in the 50 freestyle (26.90) to lead the Lady Rangers.
"Kylie Price did a great job placing in four events over the two days," Aimone said. "She placed in the 100 free, 50 free, 200 free and the 100 back, which she qualified for the state event."
The 200 freestyle relay team of Ella Thatcher, Tyler Thatcher, Kylie Price and Amelia Despain also posted a Top 10 finish, placing sixth (1:50.99); the same team also placed 10th in the 400 freestyle relay (4:09.52).
"The relay teams placed in the Top 6, which is big, considering they had to take on 4A schools. They also improved their previous times in the 200 free and 400 free relays."
Other notable finishes included Amelia Despain in the 100 butterfly (15th, 1:12.03) and the 200 individual medley (18th, 2:34.19).
Tyler Thatcher finished 22nd in the 100 breaststroke (1:24.52), while Cambree Dearden was the Lady Rangers’ top finisher in the 500 freestyle (26th, 6:39.88) and the 200 freestyle (28th, 2:26.33). Kalyn Lockwood finished 26th in diving, with a score of 274.00, while Kaylie Julander was 37th in the 100 backstroke (1:20.66).
"Kalyn Lockwood also had a great weekend diving," Aimone said. "She qualified for the state meet in the 11-dive format. That was a big accomplishment after being out for three weeks with an injury."
Lady Rangers 108,
Sublette County 80
The Lady Rangers swimming and diving team swam to an impressive 108-80 win in a dual meet on Thursday, Oct. 6.
“Everything went really well at this meet,” said EHS head coach Amanda Aimone. “These girls are doing a great job, but that comes with their willingness to listen, learn and work hard when asked to. They are really right where they need to be in the season.”
Amelia Despain, Kylie Price, Ella Thatcher and Arianne Dearden continued to impress, with Despain setting a school record in the 400 freestyle.
“[Those four] had a great week and weekend,” Aimone said. “Amelia Despain set our school record in the 400 Freestyle with a time of 5:21.28. That was really great for her. Kylie Price added another event, the 100 Fly, to her qualified events. We were really proud of her because she is usually a freestyler, but she swam a great butterfly in Rawlins. Ella continues to do great things in the water even though she is battling shoulder pain. She swam two new personal bests in the 50 and 100 freestyles in Rawlins and placed 2nd in the 50 and 5th in the 100 Free. And last but certainly not least Arianne. Ari really has turned in on this season. She swam a personal best in the 200 IM at home on Thursday, and then swam two personal bests in the 100 fly and 100 breaststroke. Ari seems to be very determined to qualify and we are keeping our fingers crossed.”
1. Cheyenne Central 223, 2. Jackson Hole 166, 3. Campbell County 152.5, 4. Laramie 141, 5. Kelly Walsh 131, 6. Lander 119.5, 7. Green River 110, 8. Sheridan 101, 9. Thunder Basin 74, 10. Cheyenne East 43, 11. Kemmerer 37.5, 12. Rock Springs 32, 13. Douglas 28.5, 14. Cheyenne South 24, 15. Evanston 7, 16. Worland 4, 17. Newcastle 1
200 Medley Relay
24. Kaylie Julander, Arianne Dearden, Cambree Dearden, Kylee Batista 2:21.31
28. Cambree Dearden 2:26.33, 49. Destiny Shepherd 3:06.36
18. Amelia Despain 2:34.19, 36. Arianne Dearden 2:51.93
9. Kylie Price 26.90, 21. Ella Thatcher 27.42, 42. Kylee Batista 29.10, 42. Tyler Thatcher 29.10
Girls 1 Mtr Diving
26. Kalyn Lockwood 274.00, 31. Kaylie Julander 245.95
15. Amelia Despain 1:12.03, 28. Arianne Dearden 1:19.11
6. Kylie Price 58.53, 12. Ella Thatcher 1:02.01, 82. Destiny Shepherd 1:22.96
26. Cambree Dearden 6:39.88
200 Freestyle Relay
6. Ella Thatcher, Tyler Thatcher, Kylie Price, Amelia Despain 1:50.99, 32. Cambree Dearden, Kylee Batista, Arianne Dearden, Destiny Shepherd 2:08.12
37. Kaylie Julander 1:20.66
22. Tyler Thatcher 1:24.52, 45. Kylee Batista 1:37.22
400 Freestyle Relay
10. Ella Thatcher, Tyler Thatcher, Kylie Price, Amelia Despain 4:09.52